Family Dentistry Care Tips: 9 Habits you Need to Stop Now
Everyone has a few bad habits, and some of the things we do unconsciously might be wrecking our teeth. Dentists frequently see patients with cavities, excessive wear-and-tear, tooth damage, and even gum disease and tooth loss. Many of those patients could have prevented the damage by modifying a few behaviors. Listed below are nine of the most common bad dental habits. If you recognize any of them as your own, it’s time to make some changes.
9 Bad Dental Habits You Need to Stop Now
- Chewing ice seems harmless, but the hardness of ice can chip or crack your teeth. Drink cold water or chew sugarless gum instead.
- Using your teeth to open bags and bottles can crack your natural teeth and destroy dental restorations. Open bottles and bags with your hands or scissors, and spend less time in the family dentistry clinic.
- Chewing pencils or pens damages tooth enamel and can chip or crack your teeth. Use writing utensils for writing, and chew on something healthier like sugarless gum.
- Drinking carbonated soda is a habit many people can’t bear to give up, but soda is acidic and full of sugar, and it contributes to tooth decay. Drink water instead.
- Brushing too hard may seem like a good dental care habit, but it can actually erode tooth enamel. Family dentistry professionals recommend brushing gently in a circular motion using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Oral piercings including tongue and lip piercings cause a metal object to constantly rub against your gums; this may cause gum disease and eventual tooth loss. Accidentally biting down on a metal stud can crack a tooth. Dentists advise against getting these decorative piercings.
- Eating starchy junk food isn’t good for your teeth or your body. Starchy and sugary foods leave a residue that contributes to plaque formation and tooth decay. Clean up your diet to keep your teeth healthy.
- Grinding your teeth may not be a conscious habit, but it’s a bad one. If you clench or grind your teeth at night, you may need to wear a dental care appliance called a night guard. Ask your dentist for advice.
- Smoking cigarettes is a horrible habit for many reasons. It stains your teeth and causes gum disease and oral cancer. If you can’t quit smoking on your own, seek professional help.
Visit the Best Dentist Northern Virginia Has to Offer
The best dentist Northern Virginia offers is the one who will encourage you to break your bad habits and start forming good ones. To improve your smile and keep your natural teeth for life, always keep your scheduled dental appointments, and continually evaluate behaviors that might compromise your dental care efforts.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Northern Virginia, call Dental Associates of Northern Virginia today at (703) 398-1242 or make an appointment.
Dental Associates of Northern Virginia offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Northern Virginia. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Northern Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental Associates of Northern Virginia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental Associates of Northern Virginia.